Monday, October 20, 2008

Gala Apple Crumble


The fruit crumble is such a simple and satisfying dessert, or breakfast for that matter. It takes hardly any time to assemble and yet the reward is sweet and satisfying.
I purchased some Gala Apples from Patterson Fruit Farm in Chesterland, Ohio and had every intention in creating a delicate apple pie. But, the apples slowly were eaten one by one and I ended up having only three left. This specific afternoon, I had just finished breakfast and happened to glance upon these three lonely Gala Apples just waiting to be turned into something delicious. Not really wanting to get into a long process of dough creation, the Crumble was the best option.
So here we have:

The Gala Apple Crumble

3 Gala Apples sliced, and then chopped into somewhat small pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbs granulated sugar
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs butter
For Topping:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 Tbs oats
2 Tbs cold butter
pinch baking soda

In a medium mixing bowl add all ingredients from top section and stir to mix. Pour into greased baking dish of choice. (I used a bundt pan this time)
Using same bowl add all Topping ingredients and mix the cold butter in until it is a crumby texture. Pour topping onto the Apples.
Bake at 375 degrees til golden and bubbly, about twenty minutes.
As I mentioned above, I only had the three apples left so of course, the recipe can be multiplied for larger amounts. I served the Crumble with a little cream poured over top.
The creaminess and the apples that were both sweet and tart were a perfect afternoon delight.

1 comment:

sunanna.tara said...

That looks AMAZING!!! If I had all the ingredients I would make it right now and have my whole dorm sniffing in the kitchen to get a piece.