Friday, September 26, 2008

Wine Braised Oxtails



Oxtails are made from time to time here in this household due to my significant other bringing these meaty morsels into my world some years ago. I had been trying to come up with different recipes using the Oxtail for some time. As usual, I find something I like, change it a bit, and throw some stuff together and then turn out with something that tastes wonderful. So here we have succulent:
Wine Braised Oxtails with Parsnips and Asparagus

11 Oxtails of varying sizes ( I had 6 large ones and 5 smaller)
2 large carrots (peeled)
5 stalks of celery with leaves
3 shallots
5 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
1 medium bunch parsley
4 bay leaves
1 1/2 bottles dry red wine
2-4 cups water depending
Pour wine into pot and boil to reduce by about half.
Add bay leaves and coarsely chopped parsley. Clean Oxtails, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides in deep pot.

Remove and set aside.
Coarsely chop all vegetables and in separate pan cook on low heat with a bit of butter and olive oil until softened.
Pour some of wine into Oxtail pot to de glaze the bottom.
Arrange Oxtails in pot in one layer and cover with vegetables.
Pour wine mixture over top and then fill with hot water until just covering the vegetables. Add more pepper and pinch salt.
Cover pot and place in 325 degree oven for at least 2 1/2 hours if not 3 hours.


Oxtails should be very tender and just about falling off of the bone.
When finished braising, pour over cheesecloth and strain out vegetables and set Oxtails aside. Reserve liquid and place over med/high heat to reduce. Whisk in pieces (2-4 Tbsp) of cold butter to thicken and silken sauce.

Parsnips:
8 Parsnips (peeled)
4 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk
(salt and pepper)
Boil Parsnips until soft, and then mash adding butter, milk, and salt and pepper.
Asparagus:
Trim ends and saute with butter, olive oil, and garlic. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Arrange items accordingly and pour sauce over Oxtails.

The Oxtails, Parsnips, and Asparagus made a perfect meal.
The tender and fatty oxtails, the sweet and creamy Parsnips, and the crisp and garlicky Asparagus, not to mention the rich and silky wine sauce ended up just being perfectly delicious.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even really like oxtails, but as soon as I looked at that first picture it definitely made my mouth water...

Laura in Paris said...

I often see oxtail over at my butcher but have not been tempted to buy ... yet. Now that I have a recipe, I may try.

Anonymous said...

this looks and sounds totally delicious. i'm impressed by the level of difficulty this meal represents.

Laura in Paris said...

Hello Simone, I'd like to publish this recipe in my website (www.aworldinapan.com). Please contact me.
Laura