Friday, July 18, 2008

Chocolate Pot de Creme

Pot de Creme is such a simple and delicious dessert. I pretty much usually love any milk/cream based custard type dessert, whether creme brulee, panna cotta, or the like. I recently visited San Francisco and had the best Pot de Creme I think I have ever had, so I had to try and make my own. Here we are, the first attempt at a Chocolate Pot de Creme.
(I guarantee there will be more Pot de Creme recipes, because now that I have tried the first one, more flavor combinations will surely follow.)

3 cups heavy cream (1 cup for whipping at the end)
1/2 cup whole milk
5 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
6 eggs
1/3 cup sugar

Chop chocolate into somewhat even pieces.
Combine 2 cups cream and milk in saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir occasionally until simmer.
Remove from heat and add chocolate pieces and stir until thoroughly melted. Set aside and let cool a few minutes.
In separate bowl whisk together eggs and sugar.
Slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture stirring constantly.
Strain mixture into separate bowl and let cool another ten minutes or so.
Pour into individual ramekin or tea cups.
Place ramekins/tea cups into baking dish and pour enough hot water into baking dish to come about half way up the sides of the ramekins/tea cups.
Cover with foil.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.
When finished, centers of custard should still jiggle a bit. Remove from oven and let cool.
Whip remaining cream until stiff and add a few Tbsps of confectioners sugar.
Top Pot de Creme accordingly.

The Chocolate lent a very nice rich flavor. Unfortunately, I baked my first attempt for about 55 minutes, about fifteen minutes too long I would say. Also, I think I whisked the eggs and sugar mixture a bit too long, so they came out a bit stiffer than I would prefer. As you can see in the pic below the consistency is not as creamy as I think it should be. Next time will be much better.
Bon Appetit!


2 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

Great recipe. I love the picture on the blue bowl - I love blue in the kitchen.

Ben said...

I like pots de creme, but I've generally be ancy about them because of the possiblity of overcooking. I posted a no-bake recipe here. It's not quite original, as Cooks Illustrated made them without baking a few years ago. Maybe next time I'll try your milk / cream combination to make them a little less rich.