Monday, August 25, 2008

Plum Clafouti


I was inspired by Laura of A World In A Pan to try to make a Clafouti. Clafouti sounded like such a simple and tasty dessert that I wanted to see what it was all about. Laura's most recent presentation was with Apricots, which sounded scrumptious. I happened to have some plums laying around so I used those instead. In addition to the fresh plums I decided to make a plum and Apricot Brandy Syrup that I covered the bottom of the baking dish with after greasing it with butter.
As the Clafouti baked the sweet syrup permeated into the batter giving it a beautiful zing and kick from the brandy.
Also, my Clafouti turned into a puffed up creation similar to a Yorkshire Pudding. Light, airy, and yet dense and custard like...Although, I don't think that is what it was supposed to be traditionally, it was delicious!
Thanks Laura for the recipe and the inspiration, here we have my
Plum Clafouti.

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
2 plums peeled
1/3 cup Apricot Brandy
pinch of salt
butter for greasing baking dish

Peel plums reserving excess juice. Chop plums into chunks.
In a pan add Brandy and plum juice that was created when peeling plums. Add pinch of sugar and one slice of plum skin. Simmer on low to medium heat until reduced by half and set aside.
Beat eggs until light. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Whisk in flour and salt.
Pour brandy syrup into a well buttered baking dish.

Pour in batter over syrup. Place Plum chunks throughout batter.
Bake for 20-35 minutes at 325 degrees.
As i mentioned above, my Caflouti doubled in size in the oven then fell back down upon itself after cooling for a few minutes.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

How great that you have tried the clafoutis! Looks delicious.I love the idea of adding apricot brandy.

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I might try this and add some berries to the batter.

Laura in Paris said...

Where are you, Simone?

Simone said...

Thanks Laura. Its been a crazy couple weeks as far as cooking at home lately so, i will be posting some good stuff soon. Thanks again.