Friday, September 19, 2008

White Chocolate and Espresso Pot de Creme



Ok, I have been out of the loop for a bit, the cooking just hasn't been happening around here lately. I had been wondering why something felt amiss, and that explains it...
I have been contemplating what my next sweet experiment would be, and this won. Previously, I experimented with the Pot de Creme, using a Belgium Bittersweet Chocolate, but this time we are going with Ghirardelli White Chocolate and some brewed espresso (no instant stuff around here).
My first attempt at the Pot de Creme was not as creamy as I would have liked, so I made sure these beauties did not fall to the same tragedy..Here we have:
White Chocolate and Espresso Pot de Creme

3 cups heavy cream (1 cup for whipping at the end)
1/2 cup whole milk
5 ounces White Chocolate
6 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup freshly brewed Espresso

Chop chocolate into somewhat even pieces.
Combine 2 cups cream and milk in saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir occasionally until simmer. Remove from heat and add chocolate pieces and stir until thoroughly melted. Set aside and let cool a few minutes.
In separate bowl whisk together eggs and sugar.
Slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture stirring constantly.
Strain mixture into separate bowl and let cool another ten minutes or so.
In this recipe I filled six ramekins with the mixture that I have so far. I then stirred in the Espresso. The new mixture was then poured into the rest of the ramekins. So I ended up with the two different types.
Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or less, I like to take a peek around 30 minutes.
When finished, centers of custard should still jiggle a bit. Remove from oven and let cool.
Whip remaining cream until stiff and add a few Tbsps of confectioners sugar.
Top Pot de Creme accordingly.

As I mentioned above I was very careful on the cooking time, because I didn't want to end up with the consistency I got the first go around. And I have to be honest, that some of the Pot de Creme this time around fell to the same tragedy, but fortunately not all of them did!

The Espresso babies came out perfectly.

So creamy, and the flavor of the Espresso was bursting with the sweetness of the White Chocolate. But...a few of the White Chocolate, not so lucky. Don't get me wrong, the flavor was there, but they just weren't that perfect creaminess I am looking for.
There is always next time, and there will be, I promise!


2 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

Hello! It's good to have you back.
Your Capuccino looks more like dessert, doesn't it? So rich! Looks delicious (great pictures)

vandana rajesh said...

Hi first time here...nice blog...u really have a yummy collection of dishes.